Reports to: Managing Director
Mubaloo is an award-winning team of mobile consultants and mobile app development experts. Over the past seven years, Mubaloo has created hundreds of apps with organisations worldwide including Aviva, Bang & Olufsen, Crossrail, RAC, Hargreaves Lansdown, Unite Students and London Air Ambulance. This is an exciting time to be joining Mubaloo, following Mubaloo’s acquisition by IPG Mediabrands in January 2016. Bringing Mubaloo into the IPG Mediabrands group enables the company to offer its leading mobile capabilities, specialism with complex backend systems and cross-platform development skills to the wider IPG group. Whilst Mubaloo retains a strong focus on Enterprise Mobility, the company now also acts as an extended resource to Ansible, the consumer mobile arm of Mediabrands. Mubaloo was ranked third in the Deloitte Tech Fast 50 UK Awards and has been named Innovator of the Year 2015 by the Bristol Post Awards. Mubaloo’s work has won several awards throughout 2015, including Best Use of Mobile 2015 at the Digital Entrepreneur Awards and Most Innovative Development 2015 at the Mobile Innovation Awards.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a Chief Technology Officer to provide technical leadership and strategic thinking our business. This person will ultimately be responsible for the quality of all development work produced by our team, and a key influencer in generating company profit. Someone who can build a team to identify technology-enabled business opportunities, understand the associated new business model designs and run organisational change programs to operationalise and support the business.
Mubaloo is going through a period of significant change and this is an essential leadership role in the evolution of the business.
- Input into overall business management and operations
- Create, define, iterate and implement the company’s technical strategy
- Motivate the team, driving best practices and constant improvement in processes and work produced
- Review and refine process within the Development team, and Commercial/PM/UX/Dev interactions
- Encourage and identify training opportunities for the Development teams
- Working with Operations to ensure efficient resource planning and management – ensuring we plan ahead for upcoming work, and keep the teams constantly busy
- Manage the Development division in terms of recruitment, reviews and pay rises
- Review and approve quotes generated by the commercial team, and revise/amend if required – ensuring that major assumptions the quote is contingent upon are documented
- Cross project visibility, identifying and outlining the risks involved in certain projects and escalate these where required
- Where required, help structure the positioning of various phases of work and deliverables so the company will not be exposed or put into a potentially detrimental situation
- Be the technical lead in big pitches alongside the commercial team – this will involve presenting in big pitches and being the leader of technical consultancy deliverables when required
- Work with the strategy team to find solutions to big client challenges when required
- Help build the Mubaloo/Ansible brand and profile in market
- Providing regular analysis regarding project development and staff utilisation
- Contributes ideas to enhance proposed solutions
- Working with the strategy team and driving an appetite for problem solving; encouraging the delivery team to work out ways we can do something, rather than why we cannot do something
- Easy to work with, instilling a positive and proactive attitude
- Dynamic, flexible and contactable
The CTO should have:
- Technical experience of solution design and development. We are looking for someone that will identify the opportunities, challenges and risks at planning stage
- Extensive leadership and management experience of a Development team
- A strong understanding of company profitability and business acumen, with exposure to monetisation of development services
- Have a solid understanding of the various mobile technology platforms, and the advantages/disadvantages that each may uniquely provide in a given technology solution
- Have strong general understanding of non-mobile IT solutions, and how they may/may not integrate to work with mobility solutions
- Experience in writing technical and requirements documentation
- User experience knowledge; including information architecture and interaction design
- Proven experience in responding to RFPs
- Have a good understanding of application and service hosting environments, build processes and deployment (e.g. Source code, GIT Repo, Containers etc)
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, always communicating in a positive, friendly and constructive manner
- Full clean driving license and passport, with a willingness to travel as business needs require
Mubaloo offers varied and exciting career development options. The mix of clients and projects provides exposure to a rich variety of challenges, opening up broad possibilities for those with an appetite to drive forward what’s possible.
We will provide you with our support in developing your skills and capabilities within the delivery team and training will be provided to help you advance you on this journey.
We look to provide our team with a supportive, fun and ambitious working environment, where we hope that you will develop your full potential and benefit from the broad range of opportunities within the agency both in the UK and globally.
When you join us, we want to make sure you feel valued – and that you are rewarded for your fantastic work. So we also offer a range of benefits.