In April, nearly half (48.7%) of smartphone owners in the U.S. were between the ages of 25 and 44. According to the comScore Mobilelens, 25- to 34-year-olds made up the largest segment of the smartphone population representing 27.2% of owners. And younger users, those between the ages of 13 and 24, represented nearly one fourth of all smartphone owners (23.8%).
Ineffective Enterprise Mobility Management
Ever feel that your company’s policy for managing new media is a little out of date? You’re not alone. A recent survey by AppCentral found that, while nearly all employers allow access to company resources from employees’ personal devices, mobility management methods are often outdated.
The survey, which included 30,000 mobile experts and IT professionals, highlighted a gap between mobile usage and the policies that govern them within the enterprise.
First the good news
A majority of employers (56%) are paying for both their employees’ smartphones as well as the network it uses. 23% of employers don’t pay for either.
Employees have access to a wide variety of corporate IT resources from their smartphones, including:
96.6% have access to email accounts
87.9% have access to calendars
86.2% have access to contacts
67.2% have access to internal wifi
Now, the bad news
Just a little more than half of employers require employees to sign any legal or policy documents before they can have access to corporate resources from their personal phone or tablet. (54.5%). The remaining 45.5% do not.
Additionally, 35.6% of companies employ a mobile device management solution for company-owned devices. 41.1% don’t use anything to manage their mobile devices.
Management is Expected
Not surprisingly, employees understand the limitations that come with using a company mobile device and, as a result, think that it quite reasonable for a company to track their devices. 82.6% think companies should be allowed to geo-locate mobile devices if they are company-owned.
Though companies don’t let employees expense apps purchased from app stores for their mobile devices, most would buy them in bulk for employees if they could.
Mobile Apps Abound
Speaking of apps, 35.2% of companies are building 1 to 5 apps for internal use. 39.4% of companies are not building any. IT is bearing the brunt of the mobile app development, while individual departments are also building apps, which will ultimately be used by sales (46.9%), executives (46.1%) and field services (42.6%). Most of these apps will be built for RIM supported devices (65.98%), while iOS (57.28%) and Android follow behind (50.47%).
More Time Spent on Apps than Internet Browsing
The enterprise’s focus on apps isn’t an anomaly. According to the mobile app analytics firm Flurry, which released a new report comparing the daily engagement of smartphone users on mobile apps vs. web browsing on the PC, the daily time spent in mobile apps is more than general web consumption.
The average user now spends 9% more time using mobile apps than the Internet. Flurry reports that this increase reflects more sessions during the day per user, rather than an increase in session length.
Mobile apps categorized as games and social networking dominated, capturing 47% and 32% on consumer time spent daily, respectively. These two categories together control 79% of consumers’ total app time, while time spent on news apps follows with 9% share, with entertainment capturing a 7% share.
All in all, such an increased mobile app presence posits mobile among the many user engagement strategies we can expect companies to employ.